Monday, November 7, 2016

THEREFORE, HOLD ON

I'll explain the subject line at the end.

Number one: remember how last week I said I'm fat? Well, we contacted a guy who owns an Herbalife franchise, (which is not in the price range of missionaries) and I used his scale. I have gained almost 14 pounds. Pray for me people. My collars and pants are a struggle. And it's super hard to exercise.

Number two: we contacted this nice little viejita on Dia de los Muertos (I dont remember which one because there's two Dias de los Muertos) but she was nice. We talked a little and then we tried to set up a cita with her and she was like "I'm deaf" and we kept trying to talk to her and she just kept saying "I'm deaf! I'm deaf! it was the funniest thing ever. Sad to say, we walked away without an appointment.

This past Wednesday we had the junta de nuevos, which is just the newbie meeting. It was super great to see Elder Romero again, a great relief, because I really, really miss him. We were best friends. In the junta we just talked about different things about how we can adjust and reviewed what we've learned as newbies so far. It's really interesting because I saw lots of my friends from the CCM. We were talking about different problems we have and I told them I was upset because we would have like 6 or 7 lessons scheduled but only have 3 or 4 actuals by the end of the day because addresses don't exist, people aren't home, and  stuff like that. I learned a trick: always ask for a phone number, and if they give it to you, read it back to them. but change a number, and if they don't correct you then they lied. It's pretty smart, an elder that's about to go home taught me that.

At the junta I talked with some of my friends about their problems. It's hard because one of them really misses his brother because they were best friends. So I talked about how I've coped, because I always need someone to confide in like mom or dad or Josh or Kate or Braxton or other friends, but all I have is my companion...who is from a completely different culture and doesn't speak English. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but if you can understand it's just hard to confide in him because of our differences. It's a great skill I'm learning here in the mission.  I shared how we need to learn to confide in the Lord. Especially here in the mission, we NEED to learn to confide in the Lord. One night this week I just buried my face in my bed (we don't have pillows) and talked to him and told him everything that was wrong. I didn't start with padre celestial and I didn't end with amen, I just talked and I felt really good after. It was like we had our own little conversation. I think it's a skill we should all master, not just for missionaries.

We contacted this old guy and I was super stoked because he approached us. He said he wanted to learn more about Joseph Smith and the restoration. So the day of the cita came and we went to his house (he lives right next door...how convenient and amazing). We walk in and sit down and he says "step 1¨ and does this catholic prayer and blesses us. Then "step 2¨and goes on to explain the catholic religion and why he believes in it. Then "step 3" and mas o menos tears us apart for our beliefs, tells us that we need to go to a padre and repent and confess and change, and then tried to guilt trip us at the end by saying our companions never came back and visited him so we need to come back and talk with him. I don't think we're going back. I'm learning a lot about other religions! It's pretty hard in Spanish but I'm trying.

Elder Sanchez was telling me about the junta de nuevos when the newbies and trainers split up, and the trainers were talking about each individual newbie. and the ONLY ones that said their companions were doing well and working hard and progressing are Elder Sanchez, and Elder Johnson (in other words the trainers of me, and Elder Romero) which made me feel really good because I've felt like a tonto the past four weeks really, it's hard to be a missionary. But good, and rewarding.

One thing you should know about Elder Sanchez and I: we don't use paraguas. Why? We don't want to look like testigos. We've already been mistaken for them once. One time too many. 

I had a nose bleed this week. It was weird.

We have these neighbors that always blare worldy music...and it's good worldy music. It's hard to ignore it. If I'm being completely honest with you guys, sometimes I sit in the bathroom and open the window and just listen. I miss you guys and music.

So before the ninos pray here they always do the versito. I'm going to share it with you guys because its awesome. 
"antes de hacer la oracion
pondre toda mi atencion
mis brazitos cruzare
mi cabezita inclinare
mis ojitos cerrare
mientras al padre orare"
I finally memorized it you guys should be proud of me.

There's this huge tianguis (un tianguis is a huge temporary flea market where they sell anything you can imagine--including Books of Mormon and himnarios that they've robbed from missionaries) but every Thursday it's right in the middle of our street and it's HUGE. I' gonna buy a fake Nike jacket because they look pretty fly. 

There's this guy that helped us out when we got robbed one night. We were walking down the same street where it happened the other day  and I was scared because there was a huge group of guys we had to walk past. We were walking by and the guy that helped us when we got robbed was actually there! He was like "AYY HERMANITOS" and I knew we were all good and then we saw him dealing weed with his friends... but oh well he's our protector. 

The other night it was dark out and we were walking to a cita and I said buenas noches to this guy who was dancing. He starts screaming "HI HI HI HI AMIGO HI MY FRIEND" and I'm like dude, Elder Sanchez run! This guy is gonna kill us, and he runs over and puts his arm around me and is like "VAMOS POR UNOS COCOHUATES" and I'm like uh, okay...so we go to this store and he buys a huge bag of peanuts for me, Then blesses me in some weird manner and runs off dancing again. I was terrified.

Elder Johnson gave me some advice at the junta. I was telling him how it was hard to focus, hard to be a missionary, and he told me that I should just focus in the moment. He leaves in two weeks back to Portland, by the way. He said that I should try to think, that when I'm running around from cita to cita, and it's pouring rain and dark outside (which actually happened the night after) that I should think "This is SO cool. What other time in my life am I going to be able to do this?" So I've been trying to do that.

Also: I've struggle a lot this week homies. Being a missionary is quite the task. Please send me your SHORT...please keep them short inspirational scriptures or thoughts you have throughout the week if you think they can help. I would appreciate that.

We were talking with Juana Maria the other day. She's one of our investigators. She was talking about how she overcame her challenge to go to church. She has a health problem that causes her a lot of embarrassment so she doesn't like to go out very much. A few weeks ago I was explaining to her that there are some things that are commandments. It's really hard to do them, but they're still commandments. For me, it's to come here, leave EVERYTHING for TWO YEARS. My family, friends, studies, hobbies, everything, because the lord has commanded me. She told us the other day that because I told her that she decided to go to church. That made me feel really good. 

Finally, I want to share with you guys three scriptures. numero uno: 3 Nefi 5:13 "13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." this is how we feel in the beginning. I AM SO STOKED TO BE A MISSIONARY. And I really am, I love knowing that I've been called of Jesus Christ to declare his word among his people, to help them be saved in the kingdom of god. 

Numero dos: Doctrina y Convenios 122:7-9 " And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."
This is where "therefore, hold on" comes into play. We need to hold on, find comfort in the sacrifice of the Savior, and keep pushing, because God is here for us. He's going to help us. We just need to have faith and keep trying.

Numero tres: 2 Timoteo 4:7 " I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" At the end of my mission, I want to be able to say this. And the end of my life, I want to be able to say this.  It should be a goal for all of us. Keep fighting, amigos. I know that life is tough, being a student, parent, athlete, member of the church, simply living these days is really hard at times, but if we hold on, so that we can say we've fought the good fight, then we will be blessed more than we can know. 


I hope I'm an example for you guys! I'm really trying to do good here. It's so hard, I'll be honest. A lot of times I feel like I can't do it, but I'm pushing. Missionary work is a huge sacrifice. I only have four weeks (in the field) and its the toughest thing I've ever done in my life. But when I think about what Jesus Christ has done for me....that he suffered all kinds of pain, temptations, and sufferings...he was spat upon, tortured, made fun of, despised, (you can read Mosiah 14 for more on his suffering that could help you understand), I realize that I need to do something. I'm here to give back what I can for what he did. So that others can then realize the grand sacrifice that he made for me, and for you, and for all of us. That they too can be saved through His infinite atonement. That's what motivates me to be here. I love you guys, thanks for spending time and reading my emails. I'll talk to you all next week! Stay safe, love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment