Tuesday, November 1, 2016

I'm fat

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!.....which means almost nothing here. The party starts tomorrow. I have a list of things to talk about so ignore the random order. 

First thing is la Santa Muerte. If you know anything about the catholic religion there are A LOT of Santos and there are capillas everywhere. In the streets there are mini little things with saints in them. People pray in front of them which is really cool. But what's not cool is that there's a Santa Muerte...(she's like the grim reaper.) There are at least three of her that I've seen so far in our area. One of them is the biggest capilla out of all the saints I've seen. It's on one of the streets that we try to avoid.

I've discovered my favorite food to make in the casa. It is scrambled eggs and a bunch of refried beans. I eat it in tortillas. Oh my gosh! It's cheap, fast, and delicious. I ate more of it today.

FOOD ALERT: I tried weird food this week. We had intercambios (exchanges) on Thursday. I went with Elder Alva to Aquiles Serdan. One of their investigators has a food place and they sell pescuesitos. I think that's how you spell it. This guy gave us some for free and I did not want to try it but I knew I had to because was I avoided them last time. So he dumped on some valentina (HOT, HOT sauce) and I ate them. They were SO GOOD. I also cried because it was really hot, but it happens. BTW pescuesitos is chicken neck, cartilage and all. It's a nice crunch and chicken flavor.

THEY DON'T HAVE SWEDISH FISH IN THE WALMART HERE I CRIED. Also, I found chocolate milk 15 seconds from our house. I was so excited!!!...and then i drank it. It was gross and I think expired. It didn't sit well with my stomach. :(  
Saturday was a little discouraging. It happens. We had a decent morning but then ALL of our appointments from the night before fell through (which was like 4). We could not find anything to do and it was dark and I don't like to be out when it's dark because bad things happen. Then a recent convert invited us in to their house! They gave us popcorn, a chess board, and jamaica (a beverage). So we played chess and talked and it was a great de-stresser. 

We confirmed Tadeo yesterday which was a really great and spiritual experience. It was the primary program too. I really enjoyed it.

This week Juana Maria attended church for the first time. She has health problems that prevent her from leaving the house so she was really adamant about not going to church. Saturday we had a lesson and I just felt like I should outright ask her if she wants to be baptized. So I did and she said yes. I just kinda sat there dumbfounded for a moment. Then I said, "you need to go to church if you want to be baptized" and she said she knew that but because of health problems she couldn't. We testified that nothing would happen if she went to church and she told us to call her that night and she would have a decision. We called her and she said yes! It was a great feeling. She came to church, (actually beat us there) and she had not one single problem. It's amazing what can happen when you have faith.

Final thing, I gave another blessing this week. We all know my Spanish isn't great but it's amazing how the words come. The sister that I administered to cried and that really touched me (I'm hoping she cried because of the spirit not my Spanish). I love saying the words "en el nombre de Jesucristo y por el poder del sacerdocio del melquisedec que poseemos, pongamos nuestras manos sobre tu cabeza y sellamos esta uncion, y darle una bendicion de consuelo y salud". It's a great feeling to know I'm worthy and helping Gods children. 

I love this mission. I want to cry slightly often because it's hard....but I still love it. I know that I'm helping these people to see the light. I'm trying so hard to help bring souls unto Christ. I know the Lord is on my side. Read the Book of Mormon people! It's a good book. It'll bless your life. It'll bring happiness you've never known. As a representative of Jesus Christ I promise you that the Book of Mormon will change your life. I love you all! Please stay safe in Texas and Utah and wherever else you people are. Pray for me, pray for my investigators, and pray for this work. Until next time! Adios Amigos! Elder Jones


This is why I'm fat. BTW I forgot to mention that my shirts and pants are getting to tight and I snore now according to my companion.

My favorite food...scrambled eggs and refried beans in a tortilla.


I finally bought sheets for 129 pesos.

 Our cute little room. I sleep with two comforters because it's getting pretty cold here.

My makeshift wallet because I don't like to carry a real one-that's a pass along card in the front to hide my cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment