Tuesday, December 6, 2016

sorry, I don't have a clever subject title

This week, not a lot happened. I didn't get robbed. We didn't baptize anyone. People tried to speak English to me. I ate a lot of Mexican food. I ate another torta, like 4 times. That's all. Thanks guys, love you, have a good week!!








Nah, just kidding....a little more happened. This week I received a package from my lovely family with chocolate covered Oreo's, Chips Ahoy, and hot chocolate. All of you need to right now try these white chocolate covered Oreo's. They're magnificent. If any of you want to send me a package of Oreo's I wouldn't mind. Just ask mom how. :)

We have two newbies in our zone so I am no longer the greenie. Hermana Skagerberg from Utah and Elder Hassard from Idaho. They're both even whiter than I am so that's good. It was nice to speak English again.

I spent a night in the most dangerous area in the mission and I survived without a scratch. La ciudad (the city) is basically just a bunch of rolling hills. I'm in the two areas (actually 5, I'll explain that in a bit) that have no hills. In Molinito 2 you are pretty much always walking straight up a hill or straight down. If you don't believe me google maps Molino or Juarez Cadete and street view around. It's crazy. 

We were in the metro the other day and just walking down the corridor and BOOM out of no where we see a ginormous church ad that says #ILUMINAelMUNDO (#LightTheWorld). It was LIT!  It was this huge sign and I was proud to be a missionary preaching that every day. 

I ate Little Caesars. We went to a members home to eat and they had an entire pizza for us. It was great. Also Jarritos orange soda....good stuff guys. Little Caesars tastes better here than in the US.

ALERT TMI so beware of this paragraph:
I clogged my first toilet in a members home and had to ask for a plunger. It was quite embarrassing. Then I unclogged it and realized that it wasn't clogged...there was just not enough water. So I flushed it a few times and with the little bit of water there was most of it went down. Then I was like, oh well, I tried.... and then we left.

I've learned that pooping is sketchy in Mexico because ya never know if the toilet is gonna flush.

I threw up yet again everyone. These paragraphs are gross, huh?

I have learned to beware of street food. You think you're gonna be okay and you can do anything and then you try it and you throw it all up the next morning. Then you sleep for an hour and then you work the entire day because that's what missionaries do.

We contacted this lady one day and as we were talking to her she said, "uhhh I'm from a......different.....religion" and we were like that's okay. So we persisted a little and were getting no where so we left. As she closed the door Elder Sanchez said, "did you see her necklace?" and I said no, but apparently is was of the Santa Muerte (if you guys remember what that is...the saint of death)  I was like "oh, that is a different religion." We then knocked a few more doors and found her friend dealing drugs. Weird but I felt perfectly safe. It's amazing how the spirit can influence someone in situations like that.

We now cover half of a zone. We cover 5 different areas now, Tezozomoc, Armas, Aquiles Serdan, Culturas, y Haciendas. This means we have the opportunity to baptize more, but it also means that I'm going to die of exhaustion. Totally worth it. There's this area in Culturas that"s called "las brujas".  I don't know what that means but I know that they say if you go in after dark, you don't come out. So we're definitely gonna avoid that area.

This part is just for you mom....This morning we had to leave the house at 6:45am to leave our clothes with an Hermana to wash them. As we were walking I saw a mom and her son on a tandem bike on the way to school. Que lindo (How Beautiful).

To finish on a good note: I want to share my own quote I wrote while in Molinito 2. It was despues de la comida  (after lunch). I was waiting for my companero while he used the bathroom. I saw a backyard for the first time since I've been here in mexico. I went and sat in the playground there. Remember there are lots of hills and I was looking out over the area. This thought came to my mind, "I'm sitting in a backyard in Mexico, on a seesaw, overlooking Molinito 2. I just ate guisado...and it's because I love Jesus." This may not mean anything for you but for me it meant a lot. I've experienced what it means to be in Mexico, in the most dangerous area in the mission. It's pretty hard at times. A lot of times in life we're asked to do a lot of really hard things....especially as members of the church. It's hard, I know. I've learned so much in the past 3 months, probably more than the last 18 years of my life. I'm here because of the love I have for Christ. I think that's what motivates us to do these hard things. When we really love Jesus Christ and understand what he's done for us and the blessings we have, it doesn't matter how hard the life is. It doesn't matter if, like I've said before, if we fail that test, lose that job, get robbed, lose a loved one, because we understand Jesus Christ, and his love. I invite all of you to search for his love in your lives. If you don't feel it, search a little harder, because I promise you it's there. Maybe you think "nah, it's because he's Elder Jones and he's in Mexico and he needs it more" but no. We both sleep under the same moon. We're both children of God....and the love of Christ will always be available if we search for it. 

Thanks for reading guys, I love you all lots!! Pray for Elder Sanchez and our investigators, and the members, and the profeta and apostles, and me too please.
I hope you all have a good week and are enjoying the Christmas season!! Watch the Christmas video from the church this week, I don't know how its called in English but go to mormon.org and you can see it there!!! You'll feel Christ's love if you do. I love you guys!! Have a great week and be safe

Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment