Wednesday, January 17, 2018

2 nephi 4

Hello everyone, just a short email this week.

A few weeks ago we went to go eat with the familia Esquivel, who got baptized in March, my old companion and I had recently reactivated them. However, that time that we had gone to visit them I noted that something was wrong with the Hermano. I wasn't sure what but he didn't sit down to eat with us or anything like that.  When we went to share a message with them he sat down with us and I realized that there was something wrong because he wouldn't even look me in the eyes whenever I spoke. Afterwards, he just opened up with us, and talked about how he was never good enough for his wife or his parents or brothers or friends or anyone and was just really down. I started trying to help him, and my companion talked about the sacrament and how we can become new people, and I mentioned how one hermano a few weeks ago at church said that what he learned in his mission is that ANYONE can change, and I mentioned that and he said "but not me...everyone can except me...just ask anyone that lives close to me". He was really, really down and said he wasn't even going go to church anymore. I told him that I couldn't help him then. That if his attitude was that way that it was true, he would never change. But I asked him to read this and I wrote 2 Nephi 4 on a napkin and passed it to him. That was a Tuesday. That Sunday we got to church and I saw him there and was a little confused but super excited so I went and said hi and then sat down. He then got up to share his testimony, which surprised me even more. And then he started to talk, and I was even more surprised. He shared a little of what he had shared with us and then shared what we had told him, and proceeded to say "I want to personally and publicly thank Elder Jones for what he shared with me." He said a few more things and shared his testimony. 

A lot of times as a missionary I kinda just feel like I'm wasting my time. IDK why I'm supposed to be here or why I do what I do...that I'm not really helping. But every once in a while, things like that happen, and it's a big testimony to me that maybe I am supposed to be here, and the spirit is working through me. I love seeing those miracles and being able to be part of them. 

I know this church is true and that miracles do exist, depending on the faith that we have. 


enjoy this barbecue that we made

the best district in the entire mission
back row: hna Martinez, hna Yanza, hna Oropeza, hna Burgos
front row: e Bowles, me, elder Pearson (one of our zone leaders)

love you guys, have a great week!!

Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment