Wednesday, October 18, 2017

"i'm with the devil"

Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a nice October week, hopefully its not 90 degrees outside too many days this month.

I heard a lot about the devil this week. We had interchanges this week. As we were walking down the street some guy just says "hey we've gotta give thanks to the devil too right? Without him we wouldn't have bad, and without the bad we wouldn't know the good." The guy makes some sense but there's no way I'm giving the devil thanks for anything. My compa asked if he would like to come closer to Jesus and he said that he'd rather keep smoking weed. That's a normal thing in the life of a missionary btw. 
Hermano Gino shared a pretty funny story with me.. He said he was in a taxi coming to church but he was gonna get down a lot before the church because he only had 24 pesos and 24 pesos wasn't enough to get all the way to church. So he tells the chauffeur to let him down when it got to 24 pesos. The taxi driver said, "no worries man you just tell me where you're going and I'll take you there, I like you guys". So he keeps going and they get to the church and Hermano Gino decides to share something with him about the church, and invites him to church and the taxi driver says "nah man Im with the devil but you guys are bien chidos" I think with Hermano Gino's story is funny, but I learned something from it. Through our example people recognize members of the church, and if some day they meet some missionaries the first thing that will come to their mind will be "hey I have a Mormon friend" and they'll think of that example. Just some food for thought.

I'm not sure if salsa valentina exists in the United States but it's eaten with many, many things here. so anyway sangria (if you don't know what that is its a soda and you can buy it in Kroger) can be prepared a certain way so that it becomes a "sangria preparada" and it's got like the salt and all that kinda like a margarita. A sangria preparada is: valentina negra (valentina but the really spicy version), salt, and tajin. Tajin is like spicy powder stuff that you put on fruit so that its kinda spicy. But anyway you mix all that up with the soda and then you drink it. Basically it's gross and just tastes like you're drinking valentina. I tried that this week.

To end I wanted to share something from general conference. There was this one talk where the brother said "mirar mas alla de lo que vemos" which basically means that we have to look a little farther than what we see. I'm not sure how to translate it very well. Anyway, something came to mind that my dad always, always talks to me about which is perspective. and more so eternal perspective. In life lots of stuff happens, trials come and sometimes like stinks. We have to have an eternal perspective. We have to be able to realize that this life is just a short part of our existence and some day we're going to be back with our Heavenly Father with all the experience we've gained. Sometimes life is hard and not very fun, but if we can have that eternal perspective, we'll be able to understand a little better why those things happen.

I hope everyone has a great week! Stay safe, love you guys!

Elder Jones

This is Cristian, he's a convert of Elder Hernandez that we talked to today, he was super cool. He used to be a Freemason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment