Thursday, February 16, 2017

why do missionaries have such big bladders?

Because they only get one pday a week.

This week was pretty dope. Lots of stuff happened. The new transfer started this week and I'm still here (I'll be here probably until May or June) but it's always fun to see all the changes. We got a new assistant. His name is Elder Edwards. He's pretty young in the mission but he's super cool.  

This past week we actually had a legitimate pday. It was super dope because we went to this place called the bosque de chapultepec. I had never heard of it but its kinda like central park, just FOUR TIMES the size! There's a few museums, a castle, a lake, an amusement park, and it's just super pretty! It's something you wouldn't ever think you would find in Mexico City. Do you all know the Aztec calendar that made everyone think we were gonna die in 2012? I got a selfie with it, so that's super dope. We explored a museum with all kinds of Mexican history and different kinds of artifacts and super cool stuff so hopefully my mom puts lots of pictures up on the blog.



What's a museum trip without a bathroom selfie where Elder Bennion is talking about housing contracts?

What I would like to call a failed attempt.

​This is some kind of shrine to a death god so I thought I'd add my sweet spirit to it. Ignore the fact that I look like an evil gnome. It's the weight I've put on.

​We climbed on top of la ciudad es bellisima...it's a castle.

​selfie with the Aztec calendar
Weight update: I had the opportunity to weigh myself in presidents house the other night, and his scale is accurate. I didn't believe it at first so we did a lot of tests. As a frame of reference, the most I had ever weighed before the mission was 160. When I left I weighed around 155, which is where I like to be. As of Sunday night, I weigh 189lbs. I'm so fat.

Here's a quick interesting story for you all: We ended up taking care of a missionary that ran away from a mission up north for about 3 days, which was really odd. He just bought a bus ticket and ran away for whatever reason. He was in kinda bad medical condition, to the point where my companion and I had to put on his socks for him. Through the process I talked a lot with his mission president. I feel like I learned a little bit more of brotherly love from that experience, because I was SO annoyed by the whole situation at first. But I learned to love him as we took care of him and I think Heavenly Father helped me with that. It was a good learning experience

When we were in the bosque there's a section with a bunch of famous poets. I thought it was cool because while in high school I took Spanish 5 and I had learned about a bunch of them.  There's one lady named sor juana ines de la cruz. She wrote this poem called hombres necios que acusais...and I found her statue! Elder Bennion (being a typical financial secretary obsessed with money) says: "Isn't she on the 200 peso bill?" So this happened:

​(that's the same person btw)

This week Elder Muñoz left the offices. He was the assistant. For his last change he's going to go do something else. I was really sad about that. He's one of my biggest role models here in the mission. He's just such a great teacher and person. I've really learned a lot from him. I was thinking about that and about how much I appreciate him and what I've learned.  I really want to be like that someday too. I want to be a missionary that people look up to and I want to be able to help and teach and just be that example. 

This week I was reminded of one of my favorite quotes. I think it comes from an apostle, even though I cant remember who, but it says something like this: "you become what you want to be, by consistently being what you want to become each day." I've decided to put that into practice. If I want to be the best missionary I can be then I need to be the best missionary I can be today, tomorrow, the next day, and every day. If we really want to be something, then lets start being it now. Start on the path and do everything you can to reach the goal you have in mind. I know that our Heavenly Father helps us reach our worthy goals. Christ says in 3 nefi 18:20 "And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you." I know he'll do that because I've seen it. Sometimes it's not what we want but it is His will. We have to learn to trust the plan he has in store for cada uno de nosotros. (each one of us)

Finally, I would like to share with you all an experience I had today. This has happened to me about 4 or 5 times in the mission so far, but I don't know why today it impacted me the most. We went to the comida with an hermana that I don't actually know. I didn't really know what to expect but we went over and she has this really nice house and she's just a nice lady. We sit down and eat and talk and the food is so amazing. I really just enjoyed it! After each comida we always share a scripture. Today it was my turn to share. I was thinking about sharing one particular scripture but then a thought came, "no, I think I want to share my mission scripture." (the scripture I chose for my plaque) So I open up to D&C 121 and start explaining whats happening, what a mission scripture is and then I went ahead and shared it. "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands." I started to explain my feelings about it and how it's helped me and my testimony.  As I finished the hermana said "now I want to share my testimony with you about that" and went on to talk about how there was just this huge problem that had happened that same morning with her son, and that in this moment she had just really needed to hear that. Her testimony was strengthened that the scriptures are true just because of that experience. 

This kind of thing has happened to me a few times in the mission, but each time it just amazes me. Not because I think "oh dude, I chose the right scripture...go me!!" But because I know that some how in some way the spirit spoke to me today. He told me to change the scripture I was going to share. I didn't think of it like that before. I know that the Lord's hand had a role in this. I know that the spirit will speak to us. I know that He knows each and every one of us and our needs, like he knew the needs of the hermana in the comida today. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us so very much that we can't even imagine. I hope you all can come to know that as surely as I do.

I hope everyone has a great week! Stay positive and find the good in life. It's hard sometimes but it's there. les amo mucho, cuidense!

the Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment