Tuesday, March 21, 2017

street tacos are the best

I FINALLY GOT MY TACOS TODAY

​I have 7 months in the mission(almost) and I ate my first street tacos this past week. They were really good....lets hope I don't get sick. I've discovered that street tacos are probably the best thing you can eat in Mexico.

I got a new companion this week, Elder Sweat the California boy. He's literally the best guy ever. He's so funny and we work out and eat healthy. He's pretty much the solution to all my problems.
here he is:

​Ignore my acne I'm working on it. I'm also going to cut all my hair off tonight.

This past week Elder Muñoz went home which was terribly sad, I'm gonna miss him a lot. He was one of my favorite people here in the mission. 


At a consejo we cooked 42 hot dogs and 60 burgers, because we're the secretaries and that's just what we do. 


I went running for the first time since the ccm like 2 days ago. It sucked.

Enjoy this picture of me on a bridge. This is the rich part of Mexico City.




​This is a trompo. It's a Mexican top. Some missionaries from the pueblos had one and I was fascinated. I'd never seen one! They said you could buy it in any papeleria so I bought one for 10 pesos (about 50 cents) and started playing with it and carrying it everywhere. One night we were going to go visit a little kid that wants to be baptized. I was about to leave my trompo home but decided to bring it last minute. We arrived at the house and his mom wasn't home so we started to leave...then the boy saw the trompo in my bag and asked "do you know how to throw the trompo???" I told him I kind of knew how and that we could come back and play some time. We went back and found time to play with him while we waited for his mom to get home. We start talking and finally I asked him "do you know why we're here?" and he says "are you the ones who are supposed to explain to me about the.....bastimo??" (baptism in Spanish is bautismo and he didn't even know the word). I asked if he wanted to be baptized and he said yes!! So now we have this dope little trompo friend and we're going to teach him.  I'm just super excited about it!

There's this song I've been listening to lately that's called "How Can I Be". Here it is:
It's about how we can be like the people in the Book of Mormon. It's just so good! I love the examples that it gives and it just sounds cool. I'm in the process of conseguiring a ukulele to learn. 

Finally, this morning we had an AMAZING lesson. So we have the English ward in our mission because we're really close to the embassy. Anyway, 80%​ of the  ward works in the embassy. Our Bishop is like a super dope FBI worker. He gave us a reference a while ago for this lady and finally today we could go visit her. We went to this super fancy house to teach her. She's some high ranking FBI lady that is SUPER nice and literally a golden investigator. We taught all about the restoration. I haven't taught about Joseph Smith in a LONG time. This past week I was studying about the first vision and I was reminded of the really strong feelings that I have about the restoration, the first vision, and Joseph Smith. I really have such a strong testimony about who Joseph Smith was. A lot of bad things are said about him and he's slandered, but I would imagine that's done by almost purely people who have never read the Book of Mormon. I know without a doubt in my heart that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Jesus Christ's true church was restored through him. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. All it takes to know that is to just read it, like you would read any other book. I know that this book is convincing evidence that Joseph Smith was a prophet, because he translated it by the power of God. I felt tears coming to my eyes today as I taught about him and what he did for our church. In the words of Jeffery R. Holland "As one of a thousand elements of my own testimony of the divinity of the Book of Mormon, I submit this as yet one more evidence of its truthfulness. In this their greatest—and last—hour of need, I ask you: would these men blaspheme before God by continuing to fix their lives, their honor, and their own search for eternal salvation on a book (and by implication a church and a ministry) they had fictitiously created out of whole cloth?
Never mind that their wives are about to be widows and their children fatherless. Never mind that their little band of followers will yet be “houseless, friendless and homeless” and that their children will leave footprints of blood across frozen rivers and an untamed prairie floor.  Never mind that legions will die and other legions live declaring in the four quarters of this earth that they know the Book of Mormon and the Church which espouses it to be true. Disregard all of that, and tell me whether in this hour of death these two men would enter the presence of their Eternal Judge quoting from and finding solace in a book which, if not the very word of God, would brand them as imposters and charlatans until the end of time? They would not do that! They were willing to die rather than deny the divine origin and the eternal truthfulness of the Book of Mormon."
As Joseph Smith did, I personally would give my life for this book, for this belief, but most importantly, for Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that as missionaries we're sharing his true message of salvation with the world, and I couldn't imagine a better place to be than where I am right now
I love you guys and miss you a lot!! Write me this week!
-Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment